A panel discussion on the gamification vs game-based learning has been held on 10 June 2021, and broadcasted through official Facebook Live and YouTube Live of iHumEn. The forum was moderated by Prof. Dr. Mohd Shahrizal Sunar, the Institute Director, Institute of Human Centered Engineering (iHumEn), Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM), a thorough discussion was shared by the three invited panelists, Mr. Santeri Koivisto, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), TeacherGaming LLC, Finland, Mr. Sheikh Faleigh Sheikh Mansor, the Founder of Futurist Foundation, and Mr. Tim W, the Founder of indiegamesplus.com.
The motivation of enabling this online webinar series primarily to continue on the sustainable innovation and strategic development for service, research, and academics in the field of science, medicine, and technology. Also, to closed the gap on the misconception of the addressed topic while providing insightful sharing experiences from the experts. The discussion covers on the importance of teaching strategy in education through Game-Based Learning which plays an important role in making the students, teachers, and researchers to have a positive communication, able to collaborate and interact with a dynamic team working. Effective methodology on gaming practices and strategies could be able to inspire learners to develop multi skill sets and build an emotional connection and interest to learning, subject matter and the area of expertise.
Among others, the question asked by moderator and audience are as below:
- Confusion about the terms Gamification and Game-based learning. From your own definition, what is Gamification and Game-based Learning? What is the different and similarity?
- Currently there are a lot game based learning products available in the market. What is your general opinion about the gamification element in most of the game based learning product? How the learning process can be gamified?
- While game-based learning focus on achieving goal and learning outcome, not all game based learning have gamification element. How we can combine and blend gamification in the game-based learning?
- In game industry, what gamification element is the most important?
- Can game-based learning be implemented in higher education and what are the differences compare with its implementation in pre-school and primary education?
To know the answers, you can watch the recorded video from iHumEn Youtube channel through this link